Tuesday, October 25, 2005

There's a couple of things you don't usually see at a funeral

Last weekend I went up to a town called Antioch, near San Francisco, for the memorial party of my friend John. The party was held at a place called the Beer Garden, which is a dive but it was his favorite. The owner of the place closed up for the day, provided all the food and booked a kick ass band to boot. Loyal customers are remembered and rewarded at a place like this. The family provided an ungodly supply of booze so it was an open bar as well.

I'd guess that there were 50 to 60 people who showed up. I don't think there'd have been half that many for a traditional service. I would have gone regardless but having worked at a funeral home for a couple years I was very pleased to avoid some rent-a-pastor's generic sermon. I found this party to be much more satisfying as a way to say goodbye. I think most of the attendees would agree.

One item of note:

The ex-stripper adopted daughter of the deceased flashed her breasts at the crowd from the bandstand after the family had been introduced. This was greated with great applause and no small amount of admiration. Her uncle was overheard to say, "That's Mary for you, get a couple drinks in her and it's out with the tits". Personally, I thought it was a vast improvement over even the most heartfelt testimonials I ever heard at the funeral home.

6 Comments:

Blogger Tim ID said...

Sounds like a very nice send off. I suppose that is where the term "going tits up" came from.

7:52 AM  
Blogger The Michael said...

If we'd stop treating death so solemnly maybe it would just go away and leave us alone. When people we care for go out with such a flourish, it helps us notice that they are not around and their influence remains with us, where it belongs.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous thoughtmaster said...

I guess Mary made sure his send off party was held at a titty bar, eh?

2:34 PM  
Blogger shandi said...

I immediately thought of the Bob & Tom song... "Momma's got her boobs out." Some women just don't think funerals are an inappropriate place to display their tits.
This is an episode right out of Six Feet Under.

Great send off for the ol' guy.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Bitch Goddess said...

Yeah, I wish more were like that. I like the thought of flashing tits. When my dad died, we sprinkled his ashes of his favorite place - the nudie beach. We were all cheering and just tickled at the idea of dad on someone's tit. Go Dad!

7:51 PM  
Blogger BikiniBandit said...

That is AWSOME I hope something like that goes on at my funeral when I pass.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home