Sunday, November 27, 2005

Damn you Partypoker.com, damn you to hell

Ok, so I'll be the first to admit that I have an addictive personality. I have always been very fond of games. Board games, card games, computer games, you name it. If I find one that I really like I can and do play it obsesively for hours and hours. So, I should have known that trying online poker was somewhat risky. But try it I did.

It was last Sunday. The Redskins had just blown a particularly aggravating game to the Raiders and I just didn't feel like watching the afternoon games. So I got on the computer and started surfing around looking for something interesting. I have watched the televised poker tournaments and remembered a commercial for a site to play poker for free. Since I have recently become involved with a bi-weekly live poker game I thought it'd be a good idea to practice a little. That was my first mistake.

I downloaded the software and started playing in the free games. At first I was losing pretty good but I started learning a few things and soon I was winning more often than not. They start you out with 1000 pretend chips and after a couple evenings I had it up to 8000. I'm starting to think I'm pretty good at this. I decide that I'll put in some real money and see what happens. This was Wednesday evening after work. Since the following day was Thanksgiving I knew I could stay up late if I liked it. Well, I stayed up really late. And I liked it very much.

I was almost disapointed that Thursday was Thanksgiving since I wanted to play again. But I managed to suppress the urge and had a pretty good time. A couple friends from LA came up for the day. One had just divorced and the other had broken up with his long term girlfriend so neither of them had anywhere to go. There was football to watch, pool to shoot, prime rib to eat, and pie to find room for afterwards. It was a pretty good day.

But as soon as everyone went to bed I got on the poker site and started playing again. I have been playing pretty much nonstop since then. I took a break this morning to watch the Redskins lose another particularly aggravating game. Then I watched the afternoon game in an effort to prove to the game that I can quit any time I want too. But it is calling to me, I am surprised that I managed to hold off long enough to slap this post together. I don't know how long I can resist but I'll try to hang on as long as possible.

So anyway, I hope you all had a good Thanksgiving and I'm sorry I have been neglecting my blogging. I should get tired of it pretty soon and...

What? What was that?...Aww, c'mon, I'm talking to my friends here... It'll only take a couple minutes... But... But... Crap, I gotta go...

5 Comments:

Blogger Lights in the wake said...

For those of you whose first reaction may be concern that I am going broke playing poker online. Rest assured that I have taken precautions against this by setting a limit on the amount of money that I can deposit during any week. So I won't be obsessing myself into the poorhouse. But I appreciate the concern.

4:56 PM  
Blogger The Michael said...

Oh, buddy, don't you worry, it's your money, spend it any way you like. However, I think it would be an excellent idea if you just got proactive here and sent me a check for the amount you plan on losing each week, instead of going to all that trouble of losing it to those soul-suckers online. That way you will feel much better about yourself. It's a win-win situation!

7:01 PM  
Blogger shandi said...

Okay... I think you've gone off the deep end. No wait, that was me. Reading your post made me nervous. I can't handle it. Isn't playing the lotto enough? Isn't going to Las Vegas enough? Hey... why don't they call it L.V. like they call Los Angeles L.A.? Anyway... I'm feeling better now! Don't lose your shirt. Have fun!!! :)

10:24 AM  
Blogger teri said...

lol...that was funny. I could see you doing this. If you ever want to get a bunch of people together to go to L.V. count me in. Shandi...? You game? (Just watching her would be fun) ;)

11:27 AM  
Blogger Tim ID said...

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt my friend. But what the hell. Life is a gamble anyway.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home