Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Please don't read this, it's lame. Seriously.

Today I took my car in to the shop for some body work. You might recall, my faithful readers, that a while back I wrote about attending a memorial party for my friend John. While I was up there his widow backed into my car and scraped the paint on both passenger doors and knocked the mirror off. No problem, she immediately told me about it and gave me her insurance info. I call them and they send me to a body shop to see their adjuster. No problems so far.

I get to the shop and there is a guy standing behind a car with the insurance companies name on the side. He's messing with some sort of instruments in the trunk. Naturally I assumed this was the guy I'm supposed to see so I go over to him and say "I assume you're the guy I'm supposed to see." He tells me that he is not and directs me to go inside and talk to Gus. OK, so Gus must be another guy from the insurance company, right? I talk to Gus and he looks at the damage and takes some pictures and gives me an estimate: $1380. Seems like a lot to me but I've never had any body work done so I what do I know? Plus, I'm not paying for it anyway.

That was Monday. Come Friday and I still haven't heard anything. So I call and they ask me whether I kept my appointment because they never got any paperwork. So I tell them what I told you and they say that they can either reschedule me for another appointment or try to figure out what went wrong. I patiently explain to them that I have already taken a couple hours vacation time and used the gasoline ($3.20/gal. at that time) to drive across town so I figure I'm out fifty bucks already and I'll be damned if I'm going to spend any more. They agree that that might be a little much to ask and say they will try to find out what went wrong. They promise to call back later in the day.

By Tuesday it is obvious that they are not going to call. So I call them and they claim that I did not call them on Friday since there is no mention of it on the computer. So we go through the whole thing again, and again I am told that they will find out what went wrong and call me later. They didn't call. This time I don't wait and call them first thing in the morning. All they know is that they don't have anybody named Gus, other than that they know nothing.

OK, guys, I was all riled up when I started this but I have lost steam and will now just wrap this pointless post up for you. Gus was the manager of the body shop. The adjuster called out sick that day but I was not contacted. No one ever was able to determine who the guy at the insurance company car was. It took them three weeks to straighten the mess out and cut me a check. The check is for 250 bucks more than the original estimate. Near as I can tell their guy never asked Gus for the actual estimate and based the award solely on the pictures Gus took of the damage. So I might end up making some money on the deal but that just makes them seem all the more incompetent.

Ok, I'm done whining. And I apologize profusely to anyone who ignored my warning and read this piece of crap.

7 Comments:

Blogger The Michael said...

My friend, warning us, people who read blogs, not to read a post is like waving a red cape in front of a bull. Of course, you knew this. Thus, you insured that your sad story of insurance woe is now burned into our psychis' for all time. We, as a community, are proud of you, our son, for you have learned just one of the tricks of our trade for getting and keeping interest in the things we write. BRAVO!





P.S. Haven't you learned by now that NOBODY Escapes the Insurance Inquisition!

6:40 PM  
Blogger Tim ID said...

Lights,
Your mistake was not wearing a STUPID SANTA HAT when you went in. This is understandable. But as you might remember with my saga of the evil tree removal service, I'm no one to talk.

Go Seahawks!

11:21 PM  
Blogger Lights in the wake said...

Oh, I'm sorry. I neglected to mention that I was wearing a lovely Santa hat during this entire episode. I didn't think it worth mentioning though, since I always wear a Santa hat when out in public. Ask anyone.

11:26 PM  
Anonymous thoughtmaster said...

Not only do you wear it in public, you wear it during the most intimate times of your life.

3:12 AM  
Blogger Tim ID said...

File that under TMI (too much information) for a blog.

8:32 AM  
Blogger teri said...

Oh my god...Don't get me started on that one. A lady hit me once and my car had to go to the shop. It was the only car I had and needed the lady that hit me to also supply me with a rental. They didn't want me to take it out of town because it would cost her too much money. If the stupid ass lady would have looked both ways before taking off at the stop sign she wouldn't have hit me. Her fault not mine and my life goes on...out of town. Deal with in.

I told you not to get me started.

1:38 PM  
Blogger shandi said...

Okay... I didn't read it! But, I wanted you to know that I didn't read it.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home